Syrniki, golubtsy and Olivier salads are famous all over the world. So why do not we see places that serve Russian food on the streets, should Asian food restaurants or American burgers? Russian food has a more serious image. Like salads and soups with lots of ingredients and spices, which it seems to be understandable. Russian cuisine requires concentration to understand why it tastes bitter and sour. In this case, not everyone can enjoy Russian gastronomy because they have to get ready with a surprising taste. Cooking Russian food takes a lot of time, something that people do not have right now. You may see also Popular Foods in Russia During Spring Day
If you want to be able to make Russian food, first of simple steps of learning Russian cuisine, you should choose a simple recipe. You can start by making a Russian salad. Here are some Russian salad that has simple recipe :
The Russian salad is a traditional Russian companion dish made during the New Year celebrations. Although outside Russia many call this salad as a Russian salad, but it is commonly known as Olivier Salad. If you are a vegetarian, love fruits, or want a traditional salad, make this perfect Russian salad. Before see how to make Russian salad, you must know the materials :
- Traditional Russian Salad
3 medium sized of potatoes and carrots
450 gr bologna sausage
8 small cucumber pickles
1-2 fresh cucumbers
1 can of peas and 1 small onion
also 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise
- A Russian Salad with Fruit
One of whole cabbage, a cup of boiled peas and frech cream
2 slices of cucumber
3 of carrots, medium sized potatoes and apples
1/2 cup of raisins
1 canned pineapple
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 teaspoon white pepper powder
1/2 tbsp sugar
- Vegetarian Russian Salad
1 carrot, celery stick, and potato
1/2 cup of peas
1/4 cup of beans
3/4 cup mayonnaise
lettuce, cucumber, and tomato slices as an ornament
Here are simple steps of learning Russian cuisine, Russian salad. Then, with the materials, this is how to make three type of Russian salad :
See also Best Foods in Russia During Summer
Traditional Russian Salad
- Cook the potatoes and carrots. Put the potatoes and carrots in a medium sized pan and fill with water. Cook over high heat and boil until tender. This process will take about 20-30 minutes. Do not forget to check the level of the vegetables at any given time, as you may not cooked it over. Do not peel vegetables before you cook them. This will help maintain more vitamins in the vegetables. Please wait vegetables until cool.
- Boil eggs. Take the egg and put it into a large saucepan. Fill the pan with water. Cook over high heat until the water boils. After boiling, turn off the heat but let the pot remain on the stove. Cover the pan and let stand for 10-12 minutes. If you want the eggs more easily peeled after being cooked, you should buy eggs 1-2 weeks before making a salad. Longer eggs will be easier to peel.
- Dry the peas. Open cans of peas. Pour into a filter. To get rid of excess salt from peas, rinse with cold water. If you do not have canned peas, you can use frozen peas. Simply melt before using it.
- Peel the ingredients. After the eggs are cold, peel them off. You can also peel potatoes, carrots, and cucumbers if you do not like the taste of the skin. But you do not have to peel it. Using vegetables without peeling the skin will add minerals and vitamins to the salad. Cut the ingredients. After the potatoes and carrots are cold, cut into 6-mm dice. You can also cut cucumbers, pickled cucumbers, bologna sausages, and eggs to form the dice. You should also chop the onion into smaller pieces.
- Finish. Mix all ingredients into a large bowl with mayonnaise. Keep stirring the mixture until all ingredients coated in mayonnaise. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours. Just like potato salad, this dish is designed to be made before. This salad can be stored for several days in the refrigerator after you make it.
There are some tips to cook this traditional Russian salad :
- When you choose bologna sausages, make sure they are thick slices or large pieces. In this way, bologna will be easier to cut the dice.
- You can also use chicken or ham in this recipe. Simply replace the bologna sausage with 2 cups boiled chicken or 450 grams of ham.
- Cutting dice does not have to be exactly the same size, but must be small to make it easy to eat.
- Onions is an option. If you do not like the taste of fresh onions, get rid of them. You can replace it with chives or leeks. Read also Halal Foods in Russia that Muslim Must Know
Making a Russian Salad with Fruit
- Boil the potatoes. Take the potatoes and put them into a medium sized pot. Fill the pan with water and boil over high heat for 20-30 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the stove and let it cool. You do not need to peel the skin of the potato because the skin can help maintain the nutrients in it.
- Boil peas. Take the bean and put it in a small pan. Boil over high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until soft. Dry and cool. You can replace it with canned or frozen peas. If it is frozen, the peas need to be cooked a little longer before it is soft enough to eat.
- Slice thin cabbage and cucumber. To slice the cabbage, cut some parts. Take pieces of cabbage and thinly sliced lengthwise. To slice the cucumber, split both ends. Then cut per section is 5 cm. Take small pieces and thinly sliced lengthwise. Put the sliced ingredients into a large bowl. If the cabbage slices are too long, cut them into half pieces so they are easy to eat. You can peel the cucumber if you want. Cucumber skin tends hard, but has a good nutritional content in it.
- Cut the remaining ingredients. Take the potatoes, apples, carrots, and pineapple and cut into dice. Be sure to remove the apple seeds. Insert the pieces of this dice into the bowl along with cabbage and cucumber. Combine all ingredients. You do not need to cut the pineapple if it is small enough. You can peel apples and carrots if you want, but the skin contains beneficial vitamins and minerals.
- Enter the remaining ingredients. Add white pepper powder, sugar, salt, fresh cream, and mayonnaise. Combine all ingredients. Make sure all the materials are evenly mixed. After the ingredients are mixed, sprinkle with raisins. Add the salad to the refrigerator for several hours or until it is completely cold. See also Halal Restaurants in St. Petersburg
The last simple steps of learning Russian cuisine is make a vegetarian Russian salad.
Making a Vegetarian Russian Salad
- Boil vegetables. Grab carrots, potatoes, peas, and beans, then put in a medium sized pot. Fill the pan with water. Boil over high fire. Let the vegetables boil until cooked and soft, about 20-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
You can also cook vegetables in the microwave by using a bowl.
- Cut the ingredients. After the vegetables are cold, cut into small pieces. Take celery and cut also into small slices. Enter into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add mayonnaise. After the vegetables are cut, mix all ingredients in the bowl. Add mayonnaise and mix it back evenly. Decorate salad with cucumber slices, tomatoes, or lettuce leaves. You may read also Popular Foods in Russia Prepare for Winter